We are a strongly relational community, wholeheartedly committed to following Jesus, experiencing more of God’s love, being transformed by the power of his Spirit and being equipped to share the good news of the kingdom of God, in words and actions.
Our values are shaped by our belief in the teachings of Jesus, especially to love God with all our heart, mind and strength, and to love our neighbour as ourselves. We aim to outwork this in our daily life in by:
- Gathering together for friendship, fellowship, worship, teaching and prayer.
- Caring for one another.
- Making a difference in our community and in the world.
- In God, revealed as three persons: Father, his son Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
- That God is love and that He is holy.
- That Jesus died and rose again from the dead so that we might experience freedom and wholeness and that the whole world might come into its own.
- That the Holy Spirit is at work in the world and in our lives to bring God’s kingdom to earth.
- That we are made in God’s image and have a mandate to be stewards of his creation, serving the world in love and working for peace and justice.
- In the church having different expressions in local congregations, but ultimately being one body, united in Jesus.
City Gate Church belongs to the Pioneer network of churches.
Although we are not a big group of people, we are involved in lots of different projects both locally and nationally. We:
- Support FareShare Brighton & Hove (a food redistribution project).
- Support Fundelaship, a project that responds to the impact of poverty and HIV and AIDS, in the Eastern Cape.
- Are the main base for Movement in Worship.
- Run a community hall @The Dip, in Hollingdean.
- And some of our members volunteer with the Street Pastors and Healing on the Streets.
- Have an ongoing relationship with Anointed Voice of Africa Churches, a network in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.